Tuesday, June 30, 2009

On the SRI Fair, Blue Angels, and Feeling Sick

Saturday and Sunday were VERY busy days for me (although the rest of the summer doesn't look much better.) Saturday morning mom and I went to the SRI fair. Unfortunately for me, the day before the fair I discovered lice on the 5 chickens I had signed up. Fortunately for me, we managed to finagle it so that I could still do poultry showmanship, which is showing off your knowledge more than your bird. I borrowed a bird from the man who oversees all the poultry at the fairs. I didn't expect to win anything, I asked my friends (the ones who show goats) to check for me to make sure that I didn't win anything (if I did I'd have to go back and pick up my ribbons and prizes). So we went home, after our friends assured us that they would call if I won. I got home, and dad promptly asked me if I wanted to go the the Quonset air show to see the Blue Angels. The Blue Angels are always last, since they're the main attraction. We didn't know when the Airshow was was over but suspected we might be too late. We got in the car and drove down, and were disappointed to see that people were leaving. Dad said, what the heck, we may as well see the plane exhibits. So we parked and started walking down; dad called mom to tell her that we were too late to see the Blue Angels but we would go walk around anyways. He hung up... and the Blue Angels took off. We arrived in PERFECT time to see the Blue Angels. They were spectacular. They did all sorts of cool tricks... here's a video.



There were a couple of manuvers I didn't get on video that I wish I did. Once a plane came up really low from the left, so that most in the crowd couldn't see it, then, when you were in mid-jump from the first one, a second came up right behind and scared the heebie-jeebies out of everyone. These things are LOUD. Then another time one plane came down sideways (announcer "so and so doing a solo flight!)... and then the planes split and there were two of them. That one made me squeal, I so didn't expect it. Finally we went home, with minimum amount of traffic (thank heavens they added extra lanes). We got home, ate dinner, etc. And then we got a call saying I had won showmanship and had to participate in premier showmanship the next day! For those of you who don't go to fairs and don't know a pig from a cow, I'll explain premier showmanship. Basically, if you win at one of the showmanship animals (dairy cattle, beef cattle, goats, pigs, sheep, chickens, or rabbits), you go on to premier showmanship, which means you have to show all of the animals, including your own. It's supposed to be fun. You go around to the different animals and ask owners to give you a crash course in showing the animals. So we decided to skip church (just this once) since everybody (except my brother) wanted to see me show the huge beef cattle that require prodding with a stick. I stayed up late trying to learn about the different breeds of animals.

Sunday:

That night I had a poor time sleeping; for some reason I couldn't stop thinking about cows. So I was already bound to be a bit “ugh”. We got out of the house at 9:30, then halfway there found out that I’d left my memory card for the camera at home. So we turned back and got it. We finally got to the fair, and I went around to the different animals, each of which needed their feet to stand a certain way, etc, etc. We got in the show rink and the first thing they brought out was the giant beef cattle. I got an unruly one and the judge had to help me get a hold of her a couple times. It would have been pretty funny except that the judge was kinda mean and seemed to think that a 15min crash course qualified us to be excellent at showing ginormous cows, sheep, pigs, goats, etc. Then they brought in the dairy cows, which was fine except that the cow got cow drool/snot all over my arm. What fun. Sheep and goats were fine. Pigs would have been funny (basically you hit them with a stick and pray that they’ll go in the right direction) except the scary judge again. Then we got to poultry and rabbits, and of course the guy asked all about judging and the funny weird-named bantam breeds I know absolutely nothing about. F. The rabbit I probably could have done a lot better at if the lady had just let me go over the animal instead of asking me questions. So then we were over, and they made us stand in a row for 15-20 minutes while they figured out who won. That’s when my feet and back started to ache. I was ready to just run out of the rink, sit down, get a glass of water and forget about getting a ribbon. There were 7 of us, I got 6th (I don’t really mind about that part, I didn’t expect much more by the end). The only good part is my friend Emily loved it and got first place! Go Emily! (She's the type-A, outgoing, enthusiastic about everything type, in case you don't know her.) So we drove home, I ate to much, felt sick, lied down and couldn’t fall asleep while jet planes flew overhead. I had a headache and aches. Oh, and I had the sneaking suspicion that all the other people who went to premier got a prize except me.

In other words; I hated showmanship.

On Monday, however, I woke up feeling nauseous and quite sick. I took my temperature and found that I had a fever of 99.2 or something. Later on it was 100.2. So maybe I didn't hate showmanship as much as I thought I did, since I was coming down with a flu. My mom came into my room. (Where I was lying on my bed feeling awful and trying to sleep) The guy who oversees the poultry had brought my prizes! I guess I left too soon after picking up my ribbons. To be honest, the prizes weren't all that great, a tote bag and a chick feeder, but there's this cool plaque that has the names of all the past winners on it that we have to bring to be ingraved with my name. I don't get to keep it, but it'll be at the fairground for people to see.

Today's Tuesday and, while feeling a bit hot, the fever has broken and I don't feel sick to my stomach anymore, thank heaven. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to go to camp next week cause I was sick.

Oh, and it's finally, FINALLY, stopped raining. (The sky drowned June.)



No comments:

Post a Comment