Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Truth

I wrote this... I often write bits and pieces of stories without finishing them... By the way, the fortuneteller talks really fast and matter-a-factly. I couldn't fit in her voice, but I can hear her voice the whole time. She also uses lots of hand motions.

“I just want to know the truth,” I said.
“The truth? The truth? Pah,” the fortuneteller spat,
“The truth is overrated. Let me tell you what you want to hear, eh? Then we can all go home happy. You can go home thinking you will have a peaceful life, beautiful wife, lots of land, and I can go home unsued and with pocket change. Not being sued is underrated, you know dear…. and so is pocket change.”
“Tell me the truth, please,” I insisted.
She shook her head. “You sure? To many people overestimate their desire to know the truth. Or rather, they think they want to know the truth, but really would do anything to keep from hearing it. Silly people. “Truth” is overwanted and overappreciated until you actually hear it, then you hate that you bothered to ask. Everybody wants to hear the truth, but nobody wants to know it. Everyone comes, they say “Tell me the truth!!” I say, “fine, so be it, on your own head I say,” I throw up my hands. What am I to do? They are fickle. You are fickle, I am fickle. We all secretly know that the truth is inconvenient. We say we want to know the truth, but do we really? No, we want to live in our comfortable lie, darling, and you’d best remember that. I really hate it when people sue me. You’ve been warned, so know no matter how hard you fuss about how that wasn’t what you wanted to hear, you can’t sue me. Be careful what you ask for, darling, for you might just get it. But let me tell you this; it is the very wise man, who listens to the truth and accepts it for what it is, the truth. To be true, the truth is overrated on the outside and underrated on the inside, in the heart. Very rare the man who, once he has heard the truth, acts like he has.”

No comments:

Post a Comment